Toronto Film Fest Sets Tribute for Bollywood Legend Raj Kapoor
Bell Lightbox to hold film retrospective for the late filmmaker to coincide with Bollywood Oscars in Toronto.
TORONTO -- Bollywood icon Raj Kapoor, a.k.a. The Showman, is to receive a retrospective by the Toronto International Film Festival as part of the upcoming International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards in Toronto, organizers said Wednesday.
The tribute, to follow Bollywood’s Oscars in Toronto from June 23 to 25, will include a retrospective film series from June 26 entitled Raj Kapoor and the Golden Age of Indian Cinema, to run for six weeks at Bell Lightbox, TIFF's year-round home.
Bollywood director Karan Johar will host the Bell Lightbox sidebar for Kapoor, who opened his own studio, RK Films, at 24 years old.
Kapoor also spawned a major family dynasty, which includes granddaughter Kareena Kapoor, a major Bollywood leading lady nominated this year for a best actress IIFA for the film Golmaal 3.
The Kapoor tribute was unveiled by Sabbas Joseph, director of the IIFA Award organizers Wizcraft International Entertainment and Bell Lightbox artistic director Noah Cowan.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR