Toronto: 5 Must-See Documentaries
From Mike Myers' directorial debut to a pollution expose, these films are looking for bids at the fest.
This story first appeared in the Sept. 13 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
Director: Jody Shapiro
The Skinny: The biopic of Burt Shavitz reveals how a reclusive beekeeper spawned the billion-dollar Burt's Bees natural product line, and how he survives the pressures of a world from which he tried to hide.
Finding Vivian Maier
Directors: John Maloof, Charlie Siskel
The Skinny: A look into the life of a Chicago nanny who died in 2009, leaving behind photographs that have made her the posthumous toast of the art world. Submarine is handling U.S. sales.
Directors: Chris Jordan, Sabine Emiliani
The Skinny: A WME-repped documentary which chronicles how pollution is endangering albatross colonies on the Midway Atoll island in the South Pacific.
Directors: Lara Zizic, David Turner
The Skinny: An investigation into Pat Robertson's Operation Blessing, charging that what was sold as a charitable effort in Africa was all about diamonds. Cinetic is the U.S. sales agent.
Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon
Director: Mike Myers
The Skinny: Myers' directorial debut profiles the infamous manager who repped Alice Cooper and Raquel Welch. A&E IndieFilms is a partner; WME is handling U.S. sales.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game