Toronto: Magnolia Snaps Up U.S. Rights to 'The Right Kind of Wrong'
The Wagner/Cuban Company inked the deal ahead of the movie's Toronto debut and is eyeing an early 2014 release.
TORONTO -- Wagner/Cuban Company’s Magnolia Pictures has inked a U.S. deal for Jeremiah Chechik's rom-com The Right Kind of Wrong, starring Ryan Kwanten (HBO's True Blood) and Sara Canning (The CW's The Vampire Diaries).
The deal for the comedy, which also stars Catherine O’Hara (Best in Show) and Will Sasso (The Three Stooges), was sealed ahead of its world premiere here at the Toronto International Film Festival on Sept. 12.
The movie details the story of a failed-writer-turned-dishwasher made famous for his many flaws and shortcomings in a blog called “Why You Suck,” a huge Internet success written by his ex-wife.
The failed writer meets the girl of his dreams on the day she is marrying the perfect man who risks all to show the world all that is right with a man famous for being wrong.
It is produced by Robert Lantos (Barney’s Version).
Megan Martin (Cult) adapted the screenplay from Tim Sandlin’s novel Sex and Sunsets.
Also producing is Ari Lantos (Stage Fright) while Mark Musselman (Being Julia) takes executive producer duties.
Magnolia president Eamonn Bowles described Kwanten's movie as a "well directed crowd pleaser" with cast that "shines."
“In the past, one of my former companies released some of Magnolia's pictures in Canada. I welcome the opportunity to work with them in the U.S., this time on my own film,” said Lantos.
Magnolia is eyeing an early 2014 release.
The deal was negotiated by John Sloss of Cinetic Media on behalf of Serendipity Point Films with Magnolia Pictures.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kristen Bell Stuns In Pink Gown With Thigh-High Slit At 'Veronica Mars' Premiere
- Jennifer Lopez Rocks Neon Skinny Jeans On 'American Idol' Set
- Khloe Kardashian Wows In Curve-Hugging Dress At Miami Dash Opening
- Mindfulness in Everyday Life -- So You Want to Be Famous? What You Need to Know About Celebrity
- Amazon Is Raising the Price of Amazon Prime
- Lars’s Real Girl: Charlotte Gainsbourg on Fame, Nymphomaniac, and Working With von Trier
- Edelstein on Le Week-End: Unbelievably Marvelous, in Light of Its Depressing Trajectory
- Ebiri: If Need for Speed Were a Silent Movie, It Would Be the Most Amazing Racing Movie Ever