Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Admits Smoking Crack Cocaine
"Have I tried it? Probably in one of my drunken stupors, probably approximately about a year ago," the embattled politician told the media Tuesday.
TORONTO – After months of denial, embattled Toronto mayor Rob Ford on Tuesday admitted that he has smoked crack cocaine.
"Exactly. Yes, I have smoked crack cocaine,” Ford told questioning reporters at City Hall after the Toronto police last week revealed they have recovered a video posted by Gawker last May, which seemed to show the mayor inhaling from a glass pipe.
Ford said he smoked the illicit drug “about a year ago" in a “drunken stupor."
At the same time, the mayor denied he had a drug addiction and said he couldn't remember his drug use being videotaped.
He added he wanted to see the video to recall the event.
Ford on Sunday begged for forgiveness for unspecified "mistakes," so his admission Tuesday sent the growing scandal around his mayoralty to a new level of global media attention.
The shocking admission also follows Toronto police wrapping up an extensive investigation into Ford and the existence of the infamous video.
A Toronto court also made public extensive police evidence of regular phone and personal contact between Ford and alleged drug dealer Alexander "Sandro" Lisi.
Lisi on Friday was formally charged with extortion and released on bail, apparently in connection with efforts last May to recover the aforementioned videotape.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game