Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Ends Rehab Stint With Public Apology
TORONTO — Mayor Rob Ford is out of rehab.
The troubled politician returned to work at City Hall much as he left the spotlight two months ago, by offering yet another public apology for past substance abuse.
"I deeply regret some of the personal choices that I have made in the past," Ford said during an invitation-only press conference Monday afternoon.
"When I look back on some of the things I have said and some of the things I did when I was using, I am ashamed, embarrassed and humiliated…. I have no one to blame but myself," he added, as he launched yet another political comeback bid.
After becoming a global media sensation for his "drunken stupors," Ford took a two-month leave of absence and entered an addiction treatment center north of Toronto.
Ignoring questions about racist, sexist and homophobic comments recorded on smartphone videos and made public in April and May, Ford said, during a 17-minute speech, that he had been in denial about his crack cocaine use and that rehab had saved his life.
"My commitment to living clean is now unwavering. To the people of this great city, I want to offer a public apology. I used poor judgment and I take full responsibility for my actions," Ford said.
Ford left the press conference without answering questions from the invited media.