Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Proclaims 'Bob Marley Day'
The embattled politician, who has admitted to smoking a lot of marijuana in his past, was not on hand at City Hall to celebrate the reggae king.
VANCOUVER -- Toronto's ganga-smoking mayor Rob Ford declared Thursday as Bob Marley Day in the city.
Ford, who has admitted to smoking crack cocaine and other drugs, was not at City Hall for the annual tribute to the reggae king.
But this year's celebration was newsworthy after the mayor admitted to smoking heavy drugs in a "drunken stupor," and an earlier appearance in the city council chambers dancing to Bob Marley's iconic song "One Love."
Ford, who also admitted to smoking a lot of marijuana in the past, earlier grabbed headlines by urging the federal government in Ottawa to legalize dope smoking.
"Bob Marley became one of the greatest ambassadors of peace the world has seen. He used music to tear down the walls of apartheid and promoted African unity, culture and world peace both at home and internationally, with songs like 'One Love' and 'Africa Unite,' " Ford said in an official statement as he unveiled plans for Bob Marley Day this year.
"Now therefore, I, Mayor Rob Ford, on behalf of Toronto City Council, do hereby proclaim February 6, 2014 as 'Bob Marley Day' in the City of Toronto," he added in a statement.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder Is Definitely the Hottest Paper Boy at LAX Airport!
- Katie Couric Flexes Her Muscles & She's Buffer Than You'd Imagine!
- Ariana Grande to Debut New Single 'Problem' at Radio Disney Music Awards! (Exclusive)
- Jason Derulo Rips Off His Shirt After Jordin Sparks Joins Him for Passionate Duet 'Vertigo'! (Video)