Toronto Star Reporter Drops Libel Suit Against Mayor Rob Ford Over 'Pedophile' Comments
The embattled politician apologized again for his remarks during a TV interview.
TORONTO -- Toronto mayor Rob Ford has gotten used to taking a few runs at making apologies before they are accepted.
In the latest instance, Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale finally dropped a libel suit against the embattled politician after Ford made his second apology in as many days.
Dale on Tuesday announced he would proceed with the defamation suit as Ford's first apology "didn't come close" to fully retracting the offensive remarks he made during a Vision TV interview that aired on Dec. 9 and 10.
Ford commented on a 2012 run-in with Dale near his private home by hinting the Toronto Star reporter was a pedophile for taking photos of children in Ford's backyard.
"…There was absolutely no basis for the statement I made about Mr. Dale taking pictures of children, or for any insinuations I made," Ford said in his second apology. "I should not have said what I did and I wholly retract my statements and apologize to Mr. Dale without reservation for what I said," he added.
Moses Znaimer's Zoomer Media, which aired the TV interview on its Vision TV channel, also issued a full apology to Dale on Thursday.
"… We sincerely regret the part Zoomer Media played in broadcasting the offending words spoken by Mr. Ford, and apologize for that. We can confirm that those words will never again be broadcast on any of our television outlets or websites," Zoomer Media said in its statement.
Dale threatened libel action against Ford after he was interviewed on theZoomer, a talk show co-hosted by disgraced Canadian media baron Conrad Black.
Ford in recent months has issued a slew of apologies, including ones for smoking crack cocaine, calling the media "a bunch of maggots," appearing in public while "hammered" and knocking down a fellow councilor, Pam McConnell, during a city hall meeting.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!