Toronto Taps Buenos Aires Auteurs for Fest Focus
Argentine filmmakers to be subject of Toronto festival's third annual City to City sidebar.
TORONTO – Argentine filmmakers are to get their close-up in Toronto. Buenos Aires-based auteurs will be this year’s focus for the Toronto International Film Festival’s City to City sidebar.
“Now that we've seen such strong work from Lucretia Martel, Pablo Trapero, Lisandro Alonso and their peers, here comes a new crop of passionate, impressive filmmakers emerging in Buenos Aires,” TIFF co-director Cameron Bailey said Tuesday.
And last year’s best foreign language Oscar winner, Argentine director Juan Jose Campanella’s The Secret in Their Eyes, had its international premiere at TIFF. Toronto programmers will travel to Buenos Aires in April to select films, ahead of unveiling the festival’s full lineup in August.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR