Toronto's Four Seasons Bar: 'The Spot to Seal the Deal'
The 55-story tower's dbar lounge is the city's newest movie industry hotspot, with director Barry Avrich ("Filthy Gorgeous") calling it "Toronto's answer to the Polo Lounge."
This story first appeared in the Sept. 13 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
The town’s new Four Seasons arrived complete with plenty of five-star luxuries: There’s a Daniel Boulud restaurant, noise-reducing cement walls for a hushed atmosphere and in-house hair and makeup teams — not to mention Beyonce, Jay Z and Justin Timberlake were all hotel guests while on tour. But the 55-story tower’s true claim to fame is that, in less than a year since it opened, its dbar lounge has become the city’s quiet achiever: a discreet and sophisticated meeting place for film-industry dealmakers.
Director Barry Avrich, who brings Filthy Gorgeous, his new documentary on Penthouse publisher Bob Guccione, to the festival this year, has christened the bar as "the spot to seal the deal." The Toronto-born filmmaker says he takes all of his meetings at the hotel, located in the Yorkville neighborhood, a 10-minute cab ride from the festival frenzy at the TIFF Bell Lightbox. "The bar is Toronto's answer to the Polo Lounge," he says.
And like the famed Beverly Hills power-broker bar, the Four Seasons exudes glamour without too much flash. Designed by Peter Clewes, the hotel's decor comes courtesy of local interior design duo Glenn Pushelberg and George Yabu. Their muted color scheme of sand and slate gray sets the stage for works by 1,700 artists that are displayed throughout the hotel's public areas and 259 suites. One-bedroom suites start at $995 Canadian; the 3,820-square-foot Royal Suite starts at C$15,000 a night.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game