Box Office Upset: 'Puss in Boots' Challenges Brett Ratner's 'Tower Heist' for No. 1
Unless Ben Stiller-Eddie Murphy-Matthew Broderick starrer "Tower Heist" gets big late night boost, "Puss in Boots" could pull ahead for the weekend in a surprise upset; "Harold & Kumar's" new film off to soft start.
In a surprise twist, Paramount and DreamWorks Animation's Puss in Boots is showing a stellar hold in its second weekend, strong enough to challenge Brent Ratner's new broad comedy Tower Heist.
It's possible Puss in Boots could gross $27 million to $27.5 million for the weekend, while Universal's Tower Heist could top out at $26.5 million to $27 million, instead of the $30 million Universal was hoping for.
The $85 million Universal film has plenty of star power in a cast led by Ben Stiller, Eddie Murphy and Matthew Broderick.
Murphy, whose live-action career has suffered in recent years, should see better numbers than usual. Casey Affleck, Alan Alda, Tea Leoni, Michael Pena and Gabourey Sidibe also star in the film, about a group of non-crooks who set out to rob the man who swindled them out of their pensions.
The weekend's other new player, Warner Bros. and New LIne's stoner comedy A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas is off to a softish start, and is now looking at a weekend opening of $14 million to $15 million, versus the $18 million the companies were hoping for. Still, the R-rated pic only cost $20 million to produce.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR