About Town: Hitched, Hatched, Hired
Inside the industry’s celebrations and news.
PETER YATES: 1929-2011: A two-time best director Oscar nominee for The Dresser and Breaking Away, Yates worked with Steve McQueen and Robert Duvall on Bullitt. “It was one of the first car chases,” Duvall tells THR regarding the 1968 film. His part, recalls the actor, was little more than that of a “hired hand.” Still, Yates, who died Jan. 9 in London after battling an unspecified illness, “was very generous and a good guy to work with,” Duvall says. The British filmmaker, whose last feature film was 1998’s Curtain Call, was 81.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR