2012 Republican Convention: Trace Adkins Unveils GOP Anthem at VIP Event (Video)
Sean Hannity jokes about the president and vice president before the country star introduces an unreleased song.
TAMPA, Fla. - Hours after Ann Romney and Gov. Chris Christie fired up delegates at the Republican National Convention Tuesday night, Fox News Channel personality Sean Hannity and former GOP primary candidate and radio host Herman Cain were surprise guests at a VIP charity concert that starred Trace Adkins.
A few hundred yards from the official proceedings, at a tented area called Liberty Plaza, Adkins sang an hour’s worth of hits then introduced his last song – which is not yet released – as the reason he wanted to play at the convention.
The audience cheered the patriotic song and some instantly proclaimed it an anthem for the Mitt Romney-Paul Ryan ticket.
“Tough times don’t last, tough people do,” Adkins sang.
“Those talking heads on CNN, say we’d never get out of this hole we’re in.
“The price of gas is up and the market’s down.
“There’s a bunch of empty houses in every big town.
“Well I’d interrupt that program with a little headline of my own.
“This just in from the old red, white and blue.
“Tough times don’t last, tough people do.”
Amateur video of the performance is below.
Before Adkins hit the stage, Hannity revved up the crowd by joking about Vice President Joe Biden’s spelling prowess (“three-letter word: J-O-B-S”) and President Barack Obama’s “you didn’t build that” comment.
Cain praised Christie’s and Ann Romney’s speeches from earlier in the evening.
“Ann Romney defined the likable side of Mitt Romney…. I heard things that I had never heard before about Mitt. But she painted a very loving, likeable side of Mitt Romney, because he’s been getting a bad rap. He’s been getting a bad rap,” Cain said.
The event was hosted by conservative group Citizens United. Its offshoot, Citizens United Prods., is screening several political documentaries at Liberty Plaza throughout the week.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zac Efron, Dave Franco, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse Share Crazy Stories From "Neighbors" Set at SXSW 2014
- Jennifer Aniston Would Trade Bodies With Gisele Bundchen, Is Just Like Us
- What We Want To See In 'Looking' Season 2
- I Ain't Gonna Work on Maggie's Farm No More: 'True Detective' and the Deep Dark Secret of the American Psyche