Tribune Co. to Pay Ex-CEO Randy Michaels $675,000 in Settlement
The executive had left the bankrupt media company in the fall following reports that he encouraged a frat house culture.
NEW YORK - Media firm Tribune Co., which operates TV stations and the LA Times, among others, agreed to pay former CEO Randy Michaels $675,000 in a settlement tied to his departure from the company last fall, the Chicago Tribune reported.
Michaels left in October under controversial circumstances after charges that he created a "frat house" atmosphere at the company.
Tribune, the parent of the Chicago Tribune, will also cover $50,000 in Michaels' legal fees, the paper said, citing documents filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware.
It said that Michaels had demanded $900,000, the pro-rated potion of his planned 2010 bonus, arguing that he was effectively "terminated without cause."
Tribune disagreed, but settled to avoid extended litigation, the paper said citing court documents.
Tribune, which has been in Chapter 11 bankruptcy for three years, is looking to finally emerge from bankruptcy next year. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tribune-push-expedited-approval-ne...
Meanwhile, Michaels this summer teamed with private equity firm GTCR to buy majority stakes in three radio stations in Chicago and New York. The new firm, called Merlin Media, focuses on all-news FM formats.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kate Beckinsale Films 'Absolutely Anything' Alongside a Really Really Nice Car!
- Usher Narrows Down 'The Voice' Live Show Performers to Just Three - Meet Team Usher!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Help Plant a Tree in Australia!
- Sam Claflin Promotes 'The Quiet Ones' at His 'Meet The Actors' Session in NYC!