Tron Earns $3.6 Million in Midnight Showings
The movie ties "Avatar's" early-morning showings.
Disney's Tron: Legacy grossed $3.6 million in midnight runs from 2,000 theaters, with Imax theaters providing a record percentage of the gross.
The fanboy tentpole beat out the midnight gross for Avatar, which debuted the same frame a year ago. Avatar's midnight tally was $3.5 million.
Imax showings of Tron grossed $1 million, or 29% of the total gross.
Tron debuted in 228 Imax theaters across the country. Several theaters in South Atlantic states that had planned to run the fanboy tentpole were shut because of snow.
Earlier this year, Inception posted midnight grosses of $3 million. Imax gross beat out Imax midnight showings of Avatar, Iron Man 2 and Inception.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR