Tropfest Founder John Polson to Direct 'Truth' in Native Australia
Polson will adapt Peter Temple's novel in his first local production in a decade.
SYDNEY -- John Polson, New York-based Australian director and founder of short film festival, Tropfest, will make new Aussie crime feature, Truth, here next year.
Polson said Wednesday he plans to be working from Melbourne next year to make the screen adaptation of the Miles Franklin Award-winning novel by Peter Temple, which he acquired the rights to last year.
Truth, he says, “is one of the most stunning books I’ve read for a very long time. It's an intricately layered crime novel about an imperfect cop fighting for emotional survival in a world of corruption and betrayal.”
Truth is set firmly in Melbourne, and written by a Melbourne-based author, so it makes sense that this is where I’ll be bringing this incredible story alive onscreen,” Polson said.
It will be the director’s first Australian film project for over a decade, after a long stint on the U.S. where he’s made Swimfan and Hide and Seek and produced and directed episodes of Fringe, The Mentalist, The Good Wife and Flash Forward, Blue Bloods and Lie To Me.
At home Polson’s best known as the founder and director of what’s now billed as the world's largest short film festival, Tropfest.
This Sunday, February 20, marks the 19th edition of the festival and competition, which takes place in Sydney’s Domain, with 16 selected shorts screening to around 100,000 people and a panel of celebrity judges.
Over 700 entries came in for this year’s competition from across Australia and the USA, Canada, China, Iran, South Africa, Israel, Italy, Hong Kong, Thailand and Portugal.
Anthony Lapaglia, Gia Carides, and Josh Lawson are amongst top line actors starring in several of the finalists’ films while actor-director Joel Edgerton, local comedian David Collins, Underbelly star Damon Gamaeu and South African director Ari Kruger have films in the top 16.
The festival is also broadcast live on pay TV channel, Movie Extra.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott