'True Grit' Overtakes 'Little Fockers' in Friday Box Office
Coen brothers' Western earns $8.2 million, while 'Fockers' takes $7.8 million.
Paramount’s True Grit rang in the New Year at the top of the domestic B.O., grossing roughly $8.2 million on Friday from 3,083 theaters to overtake Universal’s Little Fockers for the first time.
True Grit’s cume is $70.4 million. It’s been the only major studio Christmas title to overperform.
Fockers grossed an estimated $7.8 million Friday from 3,554 locations for a cume of $84.4 million. Universal predicts Fockers will beat out True Grit for the weekend and jump the $100 million mark.
New Year’s Eve is traditionally a good day for adult-skewing titles.
Also making headlines Friday was the Weinstein Co’s The King’s Speech, which beat Fox Searchlight’s Black Swan to come in No. 9. King’s Speech grossed an estimated $2.5 million from 700 theaters for a cume of $17.6 million.
Black Swan grossed an estimated $1.9 million from 1,553 theaters for a cume of $40.9 million, by far the best gross of 2010 for a specialty film released in a platform run.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Seth Meyers To Host 2014 Emmy Awards On August 25
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services