Trump Doc's UK Bow Sparks War of Words
Donald Trump’s UK arm brands "You’ve Been Trumped" director Anthony Baxter a “fraud," and the filmmaker fires back "The Apprentice" mogul also called President Barrack Obama a fraud.
TORONTO – The British premiere of a film about Donald Trump turning Scottish wilderness into golf fairways has turned into a mud-slinging match.
You’ve Been Trumped, by Scottish filmmaker Anthony Baxter, followed up a Canadian world premiere with a UK bow at the Sheffield International Documentary Festival that drew a scornful statement from the Trump Organisation UK.
“Anthony… Baxter has no credibility and from what we have seen the film has been widely regarded as a failure,” Trump’s UK arm said.
“We deal with national and international reporters and film-makers on a regular basis who handle themselves with professionalism and integrity. Baxter has neither attributes – he is a fraud and this film is a poor attempt at making money off the Trump name,” the company added.
Baxter fired back that Trump also called U.S. president Barrack Obama a fraud, only to face significant blowback.
“Trump is accusing me of being a fraud, that that's exactly what he accused Barack Obama of being over the birther issue and we all know what happened there,” the Scottish director said.
Paul Holleran, head of the National Union of Journalists in Scotland, on Friday accused Scottish police of doing Trump’s bidding in arresting Baxter and seizing his camera equipment when he was making his documentary.
“The film raises some essential questions that should be directed towards the Trump organisation, the Scottish government and Grampain Police,” Holleran said in a letter to the Sunday Herald newspaper in Scotland.
You've Been Trumped portrays Trump bullying Scottish homeowners to build a luxury golf course.
The documentary is next headed to a Scottish premiere on June 17 at the Aberdeen Belmont Picturehouse, where local residents that protested Trump’s luxury golf development will get a chance to see the film.
You’ve Got Trumped will then screen at Manhattan’s IFC Centre where it will feature as part of the Stranger Than Fiction series on July 7.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Four Scandal Actors Pick Their Characters’ Favorite Monologues
- James Franco Calls Times Theater Critic a ‘Little Bitch’ and Suggests He Work for Gawker
- See New Photos of Hannah and Adam Together on the Next Season of Girls
- Under the Skin, Only Lovers Left Alive, and a Brief History of the Art-Horror Film