10 Biggest Winners of TV Development Season
THR takes a look at the television producers making the most noise.
This story first appeared in the Nov. 25 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
“An invitation to an invitation to a pre-party.”
That’s how ABC chief Paul Lee describes his network’s fall script purchases, only a tiny percentage of which will end up on the air. Still, every hit show starts with an executive saying yes to a pitch, and during the past few months, networks sand studios have bought hundreds of promising new projects, from original ideas like “mechanical-human dramas” to remakes of classics like The Munsters and The Rifleman.
Now, with the pitch portion of development season nearing its end, The Hollywood Reporter is crowning the 10 biggest winners, based on volume of network sales rather than size of commitment or fees paid.
Note: The most active producers based on number of network projects sold (not prices paid or pilot commitments).
The Chernin Group, 20th Century Fox TV | 16 projects sold
Highlight: NBC's Untitled Gene Hong, an ensemble comedy set in a karaoke bar with The Voice coach Adam Levine attached as an EP. The network has given a script commitment with penalty.
Mark Gordon Co., ABC Studios | 14 projects sold
Highlight: CBS has given a script plus penalty commitment to Source Code, an action/procedural that follows three former federal agents who are part of a top-secret program; loosely based on the Gordon-produced feature film.
Peter Traugott Productions, Universal Television | 13 projects sold
Highlight: ABC has given a script order to I'm With Stupid, a buddy comedy with Party Down duo Martin Starr and Ryan Hansen. Starr will pen the script alongside Better Off Ted's Justin Adler.
Fanfare Productions, Sony Pictures TV | 12 projects sold
Highlight: Fox has doled out a script order for an untitled single-camera father-son workplace comedy in which the son is the boss, from Wilfred scribes Reed Agnew and Eli Jorne.
SHAWN LEVY and MARTY ADELSTEIN
21 Laps/Adelstein, 20th TV | 11 projects sold
Highlight: NBC has given a script plus penalty commitment to a Romancing the Stone adaptation from The Forgotten creator Mark Friedman, with Levy (Date Night) attached to direct.
Imagine Entertainment, 20th TV | 10 projects sold
Highlight: NBC has given a script plus penalty order to an hourlong legal drama from TV legends Steven Bochco and David Milch about a "rainmaker" lawyer in Washington, D.C., with a dark secret.
Kapital Entertainment | 10 projects sold
Highlight: NBC has given a pilot order to Isabel, a comedy inspired by a French-Canadian series about a normal family with magical elements from scribes Howard Busgang and Tom Nursall.
VIVIAN CANNON and NEAL MORITZ
Original Films, Sony Pictures TV | 9 projects sold
Highlight: John Scott Shepherd's comedy Save Me, which NBC granted a cast-contingent pilot order, centers on a woman who believes she's channeling God.
Brillstein Entertainment Group, ABC Studios | 8 projects sold
Highlight: CSI creator Anthony Zuiker and World Trade Center writer Andrea Berloff have sold Chameleon, a drama centering on an undercover FBI agent who is a master of disguise.
Happy Madison, Sony Pictures TV | 8 projects sold
- Highlight: Rules of Engagement creator Tom Hertz's multicamera generational family comedy exploring how childhood affects adult decisions has received a put pilot commitment from CBS.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game