TV Ratings: ABC's 'World News' Breaks 'NBC Nightly News' Winning Streak
UPDATED: With coverage of the royal baby and an interview with Juror B29 in the George Zimmerman trial, the Diane Sawyer-led newscast overtakes its rival's lead in a key demo for the first time in 243 weeks.
ABC's World News With Diane Sawyer has broken NBC Nightly News' 243-week winning streak in the key demographic of adults 25-54.
During the week of July 22, the Diane Sawyer-fronted newscast pulled in 38,000 more viewers than rival Brian Williams' program, with total viewership in the demo equaling 1.917 million versus 1.879 million for Nightly, according to Nielsen.
This marks the first time in five years that World News has eclipsed the NBC evening broadcast in the important demo.
"Diane and I are incredibly proud of the talented team of producers and correspondents who come in every day curious about the world," said World News executive producer Michael Corn in a statement Tuesday. "We appreciate the support from our local stations and most of all the loyal viewers who trust us to bring them the most important and compelling stories of the day. We have a lot more work to do. We’re just getting started."
World News' good week was no doubt helped by modest boosts from coverage of Prince William and Duchess Catherine giving birth to the royal baby -- as well as an interview with Juror B29 in the George Zimmerman trial. And while World News may have locked a narrow win in the demo, it still lost in total viewers. Nightly News pulled in 7.536 million viewers, edging past World News' 7.287 million by 249,000 viewers.
The feat comes after months of gains for Sawyer's broadcast, which previously ranked in a much more distant second place to Williams.
And in addition to this being an unfortunately timed blow to Williams -- his primetime news magazine Rock Center was canceled in May after a year's worth of time slot shuffling -- it marks another setback for NBC News. Last year the operation saw Today fall behind ABC's Good Morning America for the first time in over a decade.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Lindsay Lohan Misses Her AA Meeting, Blames Paparazzi On Premiere Of OWN Series (VIDEO)
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed