Twitter Parts Ways With PR Agency Edelman (Report)
The social network drops the firm after a brief relationship.
Twitter has dropped Edelman as its PR agency, Ad Age reports.
The social network recruited the firm in September but the partnership fizzled out shortly afterward because of an internal management shakeup. One Edelman executive was quoted as telling Ad Age: "We were asked to present some ideas on how they could engage consumers. We did what we were asked and sort of moved on. It wasn't material for our (West Coast) operations, let alone Edelman. It would not have been a large account for us or for anyone other than a very small boutique. It was less about money than the opportunity to work with Twitter."
The professional breakup happened around the exit of Pam Kramer, Twitter's first vice president of consumer marketing, who left the company in October after working there three months. According to Ad Age, Kramer --who formerly worked with E-Trade -- brought on Edelman to do its PR.
"It doesn't appear that Twitter intends to replace Edelman, which prompts the question of whether the company needed a big PR firm in the first place," writes Alexandrea Bruell. "It has 100 million global users and is likely mentioned thousands of times daily in press reports worldwide, so the notion that it needs assistance seems unlikely."
Last week, Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, the second largest investor in Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, took a $300 million stake in the micro-blogging site. "Our investment in Twitter reaffirms our ability in identifying suitable opportunities to invest in promising, high-growth businesses with a global impact," Alwaleed, who runs the investment firm Kingdom Holding Company (KHC), said in a statement at the time.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott