Tyler Perry: 'Spike Lee Can go Straight to Hell'
"I am sick of him talking about me; I am sick of him saying, ‘This is a coon; this is a buffoon,'" The writer-director-star of "Madea's Big Happy Family" says of Lee.
Tyler Perry has fired back at Spike Lee once again.
The writer-director-star of Madea's Big Happy Family has been embroiled in a war of words with Lee ever since the latter a year ago described Perry's projects -- including his TBS shows Meet the Browns and House of Payne -- as "coonery" and "buffoonery."
On Tuesday at a press conference in Beverly Hills, he had harsh comments for Lee.
"I'm so sick of hearing about damn Spike Lee," Perry said, as reported by Box Office Magazine. "Spike can go straight to hell! You can print that. I am sick of him talking about me, I am sick of him saying, ‘This is a coon; this is a buffoon.' I am sick of him talking about black people going to see movies. This is what he said: ‘You vote by what you see,' as if black people don't know what they want to see.
"I am sick of him -- he talked about Whoopi, he talked about Oprah, he talked about me, he talked about Clint Eastwood. Spike needs to shut the hell up!"
He added that he doesn't understand why a lot of the criticism aimed at him comes from fellow African-Americans.
"I've never seen Jewish people attack Seinfeld and say, 'This is a stereotype,'" he said. "I've never seen Italian people attack The Sopranos, I've never seen Jewish people complaining about Mrs. Doubtfire or Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie. I never saw it. It's always black people, and this is something that I cannot undo. ... We don't have to worry about anybody else trying to destroy us and take shots because we do it to ourselves."
Perry previously fired back at Lee in October in an interview with CBS' 60 Minutes, saying he was "insulted" and "pissed off" by Lee's comments.
"It's attitudes like [Lee's] that make Hollywood think that these people [characters like Madea who are based on real-life members of his own family] do not exist, and that's why there's no material speaking to them," Perry said in the interview.
Madea's Big Happy Family opens Friday.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack