Madonna Is Top Singles-Selling Female Artist in U.K. Over Last 60 Years
With 17.8 million tracks sold, she beats out Rihanna on the top 10 list that includes no British music stars.
LONDON - Madonna is the best-selling female music artist of the past six decades in Britain with 17.8 million singles sold.
She is followed by Rihanna and Kylie Minogue, according to data from the Official Charts Company, which manages the music charts in the U.K. Rihanna has sold 11.4 million copies, and Minogue 10.2 million, it shows.
They are followed by Whitney Houston (8.50 million singles sold), Lady Gaga (7.33 million), Britney Spears (7.32 million), Beyonce (6.90 million), Celine Dion (6.70 million), Mariah Carey (6.62 million) and Olivia Newton-John (6.61 million), according to the Official Charts Company.
If Rihanna continues selling singles at her current rate, she could overtake Madonna in the next two-and-a-half years at age 27, the organization said.
The Official Charts Company is releasing the figures as part of its celebration of 60 years of British charts. It previously named Elvis Presley the top-selling male singer in the U.K., followed closely by Cliff Richard.
Madonna's best-selling hit in the U.K. is "Into the Groove," Rihanna's is "We Found Love" featuring Calvin Harris, and Minogue's top-selling track in Britain is "Can't Get You Out of My Head."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR