U.K. Celebrity Publicist Max Clifford Sexual Assault Trial to Begin

12:09 AM PST 03/03/2014 by Stuart Kemp

The trial of the PR man charged with committing 11 "indecent" assaults on 14- to 19-year-olds between 1966 and 1985 is set to start March 4.

LONDON – The trial of U.K. celebrity publicist Max Clifford on 11 charges of "indecent" assault on women is scheduled to begin Tuesday.

The 70-year-old PR guru, whose clients have included Simon Cowell, Marlon Brando and Muhammed Ali, pled not guilty to the charges last year, having previously called all the allegations "completely false." Clifford has also touted that early in his and their career, he helped promote the Beatles.

London Southwark Crown Court will make 25 "tickets" available for members of the press to cover the trial of arguably the most famous PR man in the U.K., and a tabloid favorite. The trial is expected to be a media circus of sorts.

Clifford was previously questioned as part of one of several probes sparked by sexual abuse allegations against late TV host Jimmy Savile.

Last April, Clifford was charged with committing 11 assaults on seven people between 1966 and 1985. The publicity guru denies all charges.

The U.K.'s Crown Prosecution Service said then that there was "sufficient evidence" and the legal case was in the public interest. The trial is expected to last five weeks.

Clifford's own website currently says that he is someone who has "become as instantly recognizable as many of the stars he has represented over the years."

comments powered by Disqus