U.K. Shows a Big Appetite for Internet-Connected TVs
A study from YouGov indicates the market to manufacturers of Smart TVs could hit $4 billion over the next year.
LONDON – The U.K. has a "huge appetite for accessing Internet services on TV sets," according to a fresh report from YouGov, one of the most familiar names in British market research.
The YouGov report indicates that over half – 55 percent of people in Britain have connected their TV sets to the internet to date.
YouGov says this demonstrates consumers increasingly want to connect their ‘main screens’ (TV and computer), "which could drive a big increase in sales for Smart TVs (TV’s that connect directly to the Internet without needing another device.")
The study into British consumers and viewing habits found that more than one in ten (11 percent) Brits intend to purchase a Smart TV in the next year.
The optimal price for a 32 inch HD Smart TV – based on the average amount this group is willing to pay – is £440 ($700) while for a 42 inch version, the price is £550 ($873).
According to YouGov projections, it means sales of Smart TVs over the next year could equate to nearly £2.54 billion ($4 billion).
YouGov media consulting director Dan Brilot said: "The good news for Smart TV manufacturers is that there is a huge appetite for accessing internet services on TV sets, whether that be on demand TV, radio, news apps, or video calling services like Skype. The bad news is that there are a lot of competing technologies out there that can be confusing to the consumer. However, our research indicates that the Smart TV industry is starting to do a better job at communicating why their ‘cutting out the middleman’ device is the best choice in such a fractured market."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott