U.K. Shows a Big Appetite for Internet-Connected TVs
A study from YouGov indicates the market to manufacturers of Smart TVs could hit $4 billion over the next year.
LONDON – The U.K. has a "huge appetite for accessing Internet services on TV sets," according to a fresh report from YouGov, one of the most familiar names in British market research.
The YouGov report indicates that over half – 55 percent of people in Britain have connected their TV sets to the internet to date.
YouGov says this demonstrates consumers increasingly want to connect their ‘main screens’ (TV and computer), "which could drive a big increase in sales for Smart TVs (TV’s that connect directly to the Internet without needing another device.")
The study into British consumers and viewing habits found that more than one in ten (11 percent) Brits intend to purchase a Smart TV in the next year.
The optimal price for a 32 inch HD Smart TV – based on the average amount this group is willing to pay – is £440 ($700) while for a 42 inch version, the price is £550 ($873).
According to YouGov projections, it means sales of Smart TVs over the next year could equate to nearly £2.54 billion ($4 billion).
YouGov media consulting director Dan Brilot said: "The good news for Smart TV manufacturers is that there is a huge appetite for accessing internet services on TV sets, whether that be on demand TV, radio, news apps, or video calling services like Skype. The bad news is that there are a lot of competing technologies out there that can be confusing to the consumer. However, our research indicates that the Smart TV industry is starting to do a better job at communicating why their ‘cutting out the middleman’ device is the best choice in such a fractured market."
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David