U.K. TV Icon Terry Wogan to Host 'Ed Sullivan Show' Special
The 90-minute compilation of highlights from the long-running U.S. talk show institution will air on Turner Classic Movies' U.K. channel.
LONDON – Irish-born British TV and radio talk show legend Terry Wogan is to host a special compilation episode of The Ed Sullivan Show, which launches on Turner Classic Movies in the U.K. on Nov. 10.
Wogan will host the special, providing running commentary and behind-the-scenes insight into the show's famous artists and its legendary presenter, Sullivan.
The landmark U.S. variety show, presented by New York entertainment columnist Sullivan, originally ran in the U.S. for more than two decades and is famous for propelling the careers of The Beatles, Elvis Presley, The Rolling Stones and The Supremes to new heights.
The Ed Sullivan Show featured more than 10,000 acts in its time on air between 1948 and 1971, a mix of rock n’ roll stars, opera singers, popular artists, songwriters, comedians, dancers, actors and circus acts.
The show is scheduled to make its U.K. premiere on TCM with Terry Wogan Presents the Very Best of the Ed Sullivan Show, a 90-minute compilation of some of the stand-out highlights from the show throughout its time span, including early appearances from The Beatles, The Jackson 5, Barbra Streisand, The Doors, Buddy Holly, Stevie Wonder and comedienne Joan Rivers.
Wogan described Sullivan's show as "the pre-eminent variety show of its time, which hosted all of the greatest names in American show business."
He added: "The Beatles, The Supremes, The Doors, Elvis Presley, Liza Minnelli and Julie Andrews, to name but a few. This show introduced the very best musical, comedy and specialty acts of the day -- and when Ed Sullivan talked, America listened. Such legendary acts are timeless. I’m very much looking forward to seeing it all play out afresh on TCM for U.K. audiences."
TCM is a 24-hour cable and satellite film and general entertainment channel, which launched in the U.K. and across EMEA in 1999.
The Ed Sullivan Show launches on TCM U.K. on Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. GMT, with new episodes rolling out every Saturday and Sunday at that time.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws