U.K. TV Production Banner Pulse Sets Up Movie Distribution Arm
Producers of Take That and Blur Documentaries hire former Dogwoof exec Anna Sissons to spearhead plans.
LONDON – U.K. production banner Pulse is dipping its toe into in-house film distribution, bringing in former Dogwoof executive Anna Sissons to build the fresh division.
The start-up arm is billed as a strategic move to support the development and monetization of a Pulse film catalog.
The company says it plans to "take a fresh approach to the film distribution model."
The initial release will be a continuation of Pulse's music based features with the first film to be released under the Pulse banner to be LCD Soundsystem doc Shut Up and Play The Hits, which opens for one night only in 50 cinemas across the U.K. and Ireland on Sept. 4.
Sissons joins from Dogwoof where she worked as outreach coordinator.
Pulse CEO Thomas Benski said: "Given the type of films we make, and the fact we are now financing a large proportion, we no longer see the value of enlisting a third party distributor. So setting up a distribution arm is a natural progression for Pulse’s development and growth as a media business."
Benski said the full slate will be announced in the fall of 2012.
"We are delighted to have someone of Anna’s experience on board to help spearhead this new division and with plans to distribute third party films in the near future, she will be an invaluable asset to the team," he said.
Sissons said: "Pulse has a superb industry reputation and an incredibly strong portfolio of films. I’m very much looking forward to working with them on the development of this new division and taking its properties worldwide."
Pulse recently implemented a self-promotion strategy for the US premiere of Shut Up and Play The Hits, which put social media and fan engagement at its core.
Pulse has teamed up with Google+ Hangout to facilitate the fan ‘hangout’ for the Q&A with James Murphy at the U.K. premiere.
Fans around the world will be able to login into the ‘hangout’ to view the Q&A, and will be joined there by other members of LCD Soundsystem who will interact with the discussion in real time.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game