U.K.'s Blinkbox Offering Pilots of U.S. TV Shows for Free in Month-Long Promotion
The digital service has deals with 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, Warner Bros., HBO and BBC Worldwide for such shows as "True Blood," "Supernatural" and "The Americans."
LONDON – U.K. video-on-demand operator BlinkBox.com, owned and operated by the world's third-largest retailer, Tesco, is offering pilot episodes of a raft of TV series to customers for free.
The digital streaming service has inked deals with 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, Warner Bros., HBO and BBC Worldwide to run the free offer on the service for a limited time between July 24 and Aug. 19.
The pilots offered include those of True Blood, Supernatural, fresh hit The Americans, chilling Kevin Bacon series The Following and critically acclaimed Baltimore-set crime show The Wire.
Blinkbox CEO Michael Comish said the deal was driven by the thought that "great TV continues to be one of our biggest obsessions and the fuel for many conversations."
The move comes as the battle for eyeballs for VOD and streaming services is ramping up in Britain: Netflix arrived in the U.K. last year and Amazon's LoveFilm Instant continues to load up on content.
"We [at blinkbox] think you should be able to enjoy great TV all year round, anytime and anywhere, not just when programs are scheduled. We’re delighted to say be able to say 'Try TV on us,'" Comish said.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer, 'X-Men' Director, Calls Suit A 'Sick, Twisted Shakedown'
- The Club 47 Folk Revival Explores the Iconic History of Old Cambridge Folk Club
- Jack Kilmer Talks 'Palo Alto,' His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents
- Lupita Nyong'o and America's Complicated Relationship With Beauty