U.K.'s Channel 4 to Offer Fresh Catch-Up Channel for Programs Attracting Social Media Attention
Dubbed 4seven, the broadcaster has secured carriage deals on Freeview, satcaster BSkyB and cabler Virgin Media for its first fresh channel since 2005.
LONDON – U.K. broadcaster Channel 4 has given the go-ahead for the launch of its first new channel since 2005, named 4seven.
The new channel aims to allow viewers to catch repeats of the broadcaster’s output from later this year.
Forming part of Channel 4’s bouquet of digital offerings, 4seven will give audiences who missed the first live broadcast of shows the option to catch up with them over the subsequent seven nights.
It has a slot on the free-to-air digital service Freeview, satcaster BSkyB and cabler Virgin Media having secured carriage on “all major TV platforms,” Channel 4 said.
It will schedule the main channel content that is creating noise - amongst social media, bloggers, commentators in addition to viewers in touch with Channel 4 directly - and “incorporate this buzz into the look and feel of the channel,” according to Channel 4 chief executive David Abraham.
The negotiations are ongoing with production banners to secure the rights for such a service to the programming.
Abraham said: “With so much choice out there, viewers are increasingly saying they sometimes just miss the best stuff, despite their PVR and VOD. 4seven will give viewers more chances to catch the most popular and talked about Channel 4 shows from the last seven days.”
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!