U.K.'s ITV Close to Renewing Simon Cowell's 'X Factor,' 'Britain's Got Talent' (Report)
The TV networks company has been working on an extension and is looking for a three-year deal.
LONDON – U.K. TV networks giant ITV is closing in on a three-year renewal of Simon Cowell's The X Factor and Britain’s Got Talent, Broadcast magazine reported.
Executives from the broadcaster have previously said they hope to extend the shows beyond the current year and have signaled a deal could come by year's end. Financial details weren't immediately clear.
ITV and production firms Syco Entertainment and FremantleMedia's Thames could announce the deal, to which they have agreed in principle, some time in November, Broadcast said. And they said it could open the door for Cowell to return to The X Factor under certain circumstances. The star has focused on appearing on BGT, while having an on-air role on the U.S. version of the X Factor.
ITV and Syco declined to comment.
The current 10th season of X Factor in the U.K. has drawn mixed ratings amid strong competition from BBC hit Dancing With the Stars. But the show's average consolidated audience of more than 10 million continues to make it one of ITV’s biggest hits with audiences and advertisers. BGT ended its seventh season earlier this year with strong ratings.
ITV director of TV Peter Fincham in late summer said the two hit shows eyed for renewal have more years in them.
"I'm not in any way calling time on the existing big entertainment formats," he said. "Britain's Got Talent has been in exceptionally good health," and X Factor potentially has "many years" left in it.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws