U.K.'s ITV Commissions Diving Show With Olympic Diver Tom Daley
The commercial broadcaster aims to bring "Splash!" to British screens with Daley on board to feature in the celebrity reality show.
LONDON – British Olympic 2012 bronze medal winning high board diver Tom Daley is aiming to make a bigger splash with his TV show for commercial broadcaster ITV 1 than he is allowed in the competitive diving world.
The commercial web has commissioned Splash!, an entertainment series that pitches celebrities against each other as they learn to dive.
Daley will feature in the show after a summer of competition that saw him leap to an Olympic bronze medal and win double gold at the junior world championships.
Daley, a poster boy for the London 2012 Olympics who found himself at the center of a nasty Twitter campaign against him when competing during the summer games, said the show is a "dream come true for me – an entertainment show all about diving."
Splash! (WT) is based on the Dutch format Sterren Springen -- known internationally as Celebrity Splash! -- where it rated as Holland’s number one entertainment show last season.
The format is owned by Eyeworks and will be produced for ITV by Two Four Television.
It was commissioned by ITV director of entertainment and comedy Elaine Bedell and commissioning editor Asif Zubairy and will be executive produced for Two Four by Shirley Jones.
Bedell said "Splash! (WT) promises thrills, spills and a touch of comedy as famous faces take to the celebrity diving board."
Eyeworks Distribution co-managing director Jeff Goldman said: "We look forward to now bringing it [the format] to U.K., and especially with ITV and Tom Daley where we think it is the best home for audiences to enjoy its mix of fun, suspense, dare devil stunts and touch of humor all centered around the beauty of diving."
The lineup of celebrities to take part is being firmed up and will be announced in the coming months.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama