U.K.'s Pinewood Shepperton Expects to Start Expansion in Early 2015
The production home of 'Star Wars: Episode VII' and the James Bond franchise is submitting detailed plans for a first construction phase
U.K. studio operator Pinewood Shepperton said Wednesday that it expects to start construction work for a planned expansion in the first quarter of 2015.
This summer, the company received government approval for its long-delayed expansion plans worth $340 million. The production home of Star Wars: Episode VII and the James Bond franchise had been pushing for added capacity with support of studios, arguing that the U.K. has had to turn productions away due to current capacity limits.
On Wednesday, Pinewood Shepperton said it was submitting to the local district council for approval its detailed design of the first phase of what is known as the "Pinewood Studios Development Framework," or PSDF.
Read more Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' Heading to U.K.'s Pinewood
The initial phase will comprise five stages, 10 workshops, production offices and associated infrastructure and landscaping, it said.
"Subject to approval of the detailed design, which is anticipated by the end of 2014, construction work on the first phase is expected to commence in the first quarter 2015, with occupation in the first quarter 2016," said Pinewood. "The addition of the PSDF first-phase buildings and backlot to the existing facilities will significantly expand the group's overall capacity to accommodate major feature films, television programs, commercials and other screen-based productions at Pinewood Studios."
Email: [email protected]