MIPCOM: Dean Norris, Rachelle Lefevre Head to Cannes for 'Under the Dome'
CBS hopes to build on early ratings success stories abroad for its hit sci-fi drama.
Adding more glitz to the Cannes Croisette next week, Dean Norris and Rachelle Lefevre have committed to winging their way to the Riviera resort to gladhand on CBS's summer hit, Under the Dome.
Based on Stephen King's eponymous bestseller, Norris stars as James "Big Jim" Rennie while Lefevre plays Julia Shumway on the CBS series. They'll be following in the footsteps of Michael Weatherly (who plays Agent DiNozzo) and exec producer Gary Glasberg, who graced the Croisette last year on behalf of the huge international CBS hit, NCIS.
In addition to its substantial ratings stateside, the sci-fi tinged series is already pulling in sizeable audiences in select territories abroad as well. In the U.S., Under the Dome averaged 16 million viewers per week across live television, DVR playback, VOD and online streaming.
CBS reps pointed to some of the success stories which the international division will be trying to build on when it meets with clients in Cannes during the four-day Mipcom market.
In Australia, Under the Dome is the highest-rated U.S. drama this year on Network Ten across key demos of adults 25-54, while the sci-fi drama has been the No. 1 series on channel 5 since its debut in Britain. In Germany, on ProSieben, the premiere of the series is the most successful U.S. premiere to date for the channel. Since its launch, it is the No. 1 U.S. series on Pro7, the No. 2 overall series on the channel and the No. 3 U.S. series in the market, per CBS reps.
"Next year is going to be even bigger," said Armando Nunez, president-CEO of the CBS Global Distribution Group.
"Not only will there be a second season, but we are excited to be working with Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television on the next highly anticipated drama, Extant."
License fees abroad for hit U.S. series can be sizeable, so it's no surprise that Hollywood distributors who believe they have a potentially long-running hit on their hands pull out all the stops to further their cause.
Under the Dome is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Spielberg's Amblin Television.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Catherine Deneuve Kicks Off Rendez-vous With French Cinema
- Fresh Off His Oscar Win, 'Gravity' Director Alfonso Cuaron Turns To TV With 'Believe'
- 'The Dog' Filmmakers On Finding The Real-Life 'Dog Day Afternoon' Guy
- 'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram