Universal Acquires 'Search Party'
"Hangover 2" writer Scot Armstrong will direct the comedy, which is set to begin shooting this spring.
COLOGNE, Germany -- Universal has picked up U.S. rights to Gold Circle's Search Party, a Hangover-style comedy which Scot Armstrong will direct. Armstrong, who penned Hangover 2, co-wrote the script to Search Party with Mike Gagerman and Andrew Waller.
The film's plot has two friends Evan and Jason trying to reunite their buddy Nardo with his estranged fiance, whom they scared off at the altar. After Nardo is carjacked and left naked and broke in Mexico, they begin a series of misadventures south of the Rio Grande.
Armstrong is producing the film together with Paul Brooks (Pitch Perfect), Neal Moritz (21 Jump Street) and Ravi Nandan (Hesher).
Universal, which had a sleeper hit with Gold Circle's comedy Pitch Perfect last year, grossing more than $65 million domestically, plans a late 2014 release for Search Party. Universal has a first-look distribution deal with Gold Circle.
Joe Drake's Good Universe is handling international sales for the project and has closed a deal with German mini-major Tele Munchen Group (TMG) for all theatrical rights in Germany and Austria and TV rights for German-speaking Europe. TMG's theatrical arm Concorde will bow the film in Germany.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)