Universal Sets Release Date for 'Dracula'
Luke Evans will star in the origins tale about the most famous vampire of all.
Dracula will come to life at the end of summer 2014.
Universal Pictures announced that the film, starring Luke Evans (Fast & Furious 6, Immortals), will hit theaters Aug. 8, 2014.
Commercials helmer Gary Shore is making his directorial debut on the picture, which is produced by Michael De Luca.
The project is being called an origins story about the man who became Dracula, the most famous of vampires. The script follows a young prince who risks his soul to save his family from an evil sultan. In doing so, he becomes the first vampire.
Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless penned the script. Alissa Phillips is executive producing.
No other films are currently slated for an Aug. 8, 2014, release, but Marvel/Disney's 3D superhero film Guardians of the Galaxy is schedule to hit theaters one week prior on Aug. 1.
Universal has had success with releasing big-budget films in August before, with Jeremy Renner starrer The Bourne Legacy hitting theaters Aug. 10, 2012, and nabbing the No. 1 spot for opening weekend with a $40.3 million debut.
Email: Rebecca.Ford@thr.com; Twitter: @Beccamford
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama