Universal Sets Release Date for 'Dracula'
Luke Evans will star in the origins tale about the most famous vampire of all.
Dracula will come to life at the end of summer 2014.
Universal Pictures announced that the film, starring Luke Evans (Fast & Furious 6, Immortals), will hit theaters Aug. 8, 2014.
Commercials helmer Gary Shore is making his directorial debut on the picture, which is produced by Michael De Luca.
The project is being called an origins story about the man who became Dracula, the most famous of vampires. The script follows a young prince who risks his soul to save his family from an evil sultan. In doing so, he becomes the first vampire.
Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless penned the script. Alissa Phillips is executive producing.
No other films are currently slated for an Aug. 8, 2014, release, but Marvel/Disney's 3D superhero film Guardians of the Galaxy is schedule to hit theaters one week prior on Aug. 1.
Universal has had success with releasing big-budget films in August before, with Jeremy Renner starrer The Bourne Legacy hitting theaters Aug. 10, 2012, and nabbing the No. 1 spot for opening weekend with a $40.3 million debut.
Email: Rebecca.Ford@thr.com; Twitter: @Beccamford
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack