Universal Sets Release Date for 'Dracula'
Luke Evans will star in the origins tale about the most famous vampire of all.
Dracula will come to life at the end of summer 2014.
Universal Pictures announced that the film, starring Luke Evans (Fast & Furious 6, Immortals), will hit theaters Aug. 8, 2014.
Commercials helmer Gary Shore is making his directorial debut on the picture, which is produced by Michael De Luca.
The project is being called an origins story about the man who became Dracula, the most famous of vampires. The script follows a young prince who risks his soul to save his family from an evil sultan. In doing so, he becomes the first vampire.
Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless penned the script. Alissa Phillips is executive producing.
No other films are currently slated for an Aug. 8, 2014, release, but Marvel/Disney's 3D superhero film Guardians of the Galaxy is schedule to hit theaters one week prior on Aug. 1.
Universal has had success with releasing big-budget films in August before, with Jeremy Renner starrer The Bourne Legacy hitting theaters Aug. 10, 2012, and nabbing the No. 1 spot for opening weekend with a $40.3 million debut.
Email: Rebecca.Ford@thr.com; Twitter: @Beccamford
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Cultural Appropriation FAQs, Featuring Vanessa Hudgens And The Return Of The Celebrity Bindi
- Katy Perry's 'Birthday' Music Video Ruins All Birthday Parties
- Betty White Tells Larry King She Doesn't Understand Homophobes
- Annecy attendees will be the first to feast their eyes on "Feast," Walt Disney Animation Studios' newest short