Upfronts 2012: Yahoo Announces New Shows For Katie Couric, Jeff Goldblum, Others
The Web giant unveils six new shows targeting men at a New York presentation before ad buyers.
Yahoo on Wednesday announced a new lineup of original programming, including talk shows with Katie Couric and Jeff Goldblum and a new series from the creators of Rock of Ages.
Yahoo made it presentation during the two-week NewFront period in which many online giants roll out their content and meet with potential advertisers in TV-style upfront sessions. The company didn't introduce any major shake-ups in its platform, as AOL did Tuesday, but Yahoo brought star power to its showcase at the Florence Gould Hall Theater in New York, headlined by an appearance by Couric, a video presentation from Tom Hanks and a performance by the Violent Femmes.
Couric on May 1 will premiere her web show Katie's Take, a collaboration among Yahoo, ABC News and launch sponsor Poland Spring Water that will feature interviews with experts in the fields of nutrition, parenting and wellness. ABC News president Ben Sherwood was on hand to talk about the show.
The untitled Goldblum talk show, which bows in July, is among six new shows targeted at men. These include Stunt Nation with host Sal Masekela, where viewers will see things like a guy who stuffs 30 tacos in his mouth in 30 seconds; demolition program KaBOOM!, described as "three minutes of man nirvana"; and daily show The MANual, presented as the ultimate guide to rising above masculine mediocrity.
Yahoo, which counts 700 million users, also is greenlighting a new musical "jukebox" comedy from the creators of Rock of Ages, Matthew Weaver and Chris D'Arienzo. The show's working title is Dancing With Myself; set in the '80s, it will sport a pop soundtrack from that decade and function as a comedic homage to the after-school TV specials of that era. The show's plot is described as one teen's quest to fit in and find himself, his girl and his passion.
Yahoo also is gearing up for the 2012 presidential election. It's doing a video docu-series, Remake America, that features six families chasing the American Dream and a daily political series, Power Players, that will feature ABC News personalities including George Stephanopoulos, Jake Tapper and Jonathan Karl.
"We're partnering with industry leaders and top Hollywood talent, creating unique, premium experiences for distinct audiences around the world," said Ross Levinsohn, executive vp and head of global media for Yahoo. "By doing so, we create a tremendous opportunity for advertisers to connect with highly engaged and targeted audiences."
Hanks is producing Electric City, a 90-minute sci-fi adventure series that will first stream on Yahoo and is the company's first foray into original scripted programming. Yahoo also is touting another "blockbuster" in development: Cybergeddon, a digital motion picture from CSI creator Anthony Zuiker, about the growing threat of cybercrime.
That film is a partnership with Norton by Symantec, and Yahoo is stressing its commitment toward branded entertainment. Ad buyers were told to note the success of The Thread, the company's fashion and style hub that is sponsored by Proctor & Gamble and sttracts more than 3 million unique users a month.
Yahoo recently went through a corporate restructuring, slashing 2,000 jobs. But the company has reported revenue gains that have beaten analyst expectations, with net earnings up 28 percent from the previous period to $296 million in the first quarter. Yahoo has been pushing its online video plans in recent months, recruiting former Fox Broadcasting executive Peter Liguori to its board and touting one content partnership after another, especially in comedy, sports and news.
Others in attendance during Yahoo's NewFront presentation included MLB Advanced Media CEO Bob Bowman and Top Chef reality star Fabio Vivani.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!