U.S. Seeks China's Help in Stopping North Korean Hackers

Ed Araquel
'The Interview'

North Korea has denied responsibility in the Sony hack and proposed a joint investigation with the U.S.

The U.S. government has asked China to help in its efforts to stop cyberattacks.

The New York Times reports that Obama's administration recently reached out to Chinese officials to request that they block North Korean hackers from launching attacks like the one last month on Sony Pictures.

Read more Chinese Newspaper: 'The Interview' Shows Hollywood's "Senseless Cultural Arrogance"

Support from the Chinese would appear to be crucial, given that almost all of North Korea's wireless communications use Chinese-operated networks.

"What we are looking for is a blocking action, something that would cripple their efforts to carry out attacks," one official said, according to the Times.

The Chinese reportedly have yet to respond.

This comes after the FBI confirmed that North Korea was behind the Sony hack that led the studio to cancel its release of The Interview. President Obama said in his year-end press conference Friday that the U.S. would "respond proportionally" to the attack.

Read more Sony Deletes 'The Interview' Social Media Pages

On Saturday, the Associated Press reported that North Korea has denied responsibility for the Sony cyberattack and has proposed working with the U.S. on a "joint investigation" into the situation, threatening "serious" repercussions if the U.S. does not participate. 

Email: Ryan.Gajewski@pgmedia.org
Twitter: @_RyanGajewski

comments powered by Disqus