USA Loses Women’s World Cup Final; Hollywood Reacts on Twitter
After watching the final on ESPN, fans congratulated Japan, while praising USA for their efforts.
Despite their best efforts, Team USA lost the Women’s World Cup Final to Japan on Sunday. After a late goal by the Japanese team sent the Women’s World Cup final into penalty kicks, Japan won 3-1 in a penalty shootout, taking their first World Cup title.
ESPN’s broadcast of the Women’s World Cup has garnered high ratings since the USA Women’s surprising victory over Brazil in the quarterfinals. The semifinals, USA vs. France, drew the highest weekday ratings ever for a Women's World Cup match, according to ESPN.
Hollywood was glued to their television for the heated final match, and shared their reactions on Twitter.
Modern Family’s Eric Stonestreet tweeted throughout the game, celebrating when USA made a goal by exclaiming “Ok I'm gonna try this: GOOOOOOOAL!”
After the game was over, the Emmy-nominated actor tweeted, “Ok Japan. You can have this one. But you just wait til women's judo season. Great effort ladies!”.
President Barack Obama, who was apparently watching the game with his family, tweeted that he “couldn't be prouder of the women of #USWNT after a hard-fought game. Congratulations to Japan, Women's World Cup Champions.”
Many fans congratulated the Japanese team, whose country has struggled through hardships in the past year including the devastating earthquake, tsunami and subsequent nuclear emergency.
“Congratulations Japan! After all you've been through this year, you deserve it!” tweeted comedian Rob Schneider.
“And congrats to Japan on a great win! I'm sure it will boost the spirits of everyone there after this difficult year,” wrote musician Josh Groban.
Comedian Loni Love also congratulated the Japanese team, while sending out a word of encouragement to Team USA.
“Congrats Japan....that country has been through alot so let's be happy for them...good job team USA!!!” she wrote.
Rosario Dawson wrote, “Wow... Congratulations #Japan. #worldcupfinal Don't be too hard on yourself #USA. Y'all are fierce. Great tough game. Wow...”
Singer-songwriter Brian Littrell also send out a tweet of encouragement. “Wow what a wonderful world cup. Congratulations to Japan. What a match.”
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder Is Definitely the Hottest Paper Boy at LAX Airport!
- Katie Couric Flexes Her Muscles & She's Buffer Than You'd Imagine!
- Ariana Grande to Debut New Single 'Problem' at Radio Disney Music Awards! (Exclusive)
- Jason Derulo Rips Off His Shirt After Jordin Sparks Joins Him for Passionate Duet 'Vertigo'! (Video)