Value of NHL Teams Rises, Profit Declines
The Toronto Maple Leafs are the most valuable team, followed by the New York Rangers as team values hit all-time high, while the bottom line gets squeezed by player costs.
NEW YORK – The average value of National Hockey League teams has hit a new high amid growing revenue, but player salaries are a drag on profitability, Forbes reported.
The average hockey team is now worth $240 million, up 5 percent from last year due to a 5 percent revenue increase during the 2010-2011 season to an average of $103 million per team, it said. Among other revenue sources, sponsorship and merchandise sales are up.
But teams’ bottom line is under pressure. During the 2010-2011 season, the league posted an operating profit of $126 million, down 21 percent amid an 11 percent increase in player costs, according to Forbes. Last season, 18 of the league’s 30 teams lost money, compared with 16 a year earlier, it said.
The NHL’ most valuable team are the Toronto Maple Leafs, which are worth $521 million and recorded $81.8 million in operating profit last season, according to Forbes.
Second were Madison Square Garden's New York Rangers, whose value stands at $507 million with an operating profit of $41.4 million. The Montreal Canadiens, with a $445 million valuation and $47.7 million in operating profit, rank third.
The three teams’ combined operating profit was greater than the rest of the league combined, Forbes said.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Jennifer Garner's Birthday Will Be Spent At A Talent Show
- Pharrell Williams Tells Oprah About The Big Mistake He Made On His First Solo Album (VIDEO)
- The First 'Orange Is The New Black' Season 2 Trailer Is Finally Here And It's Amazing
- A Bloods General Describes Gang Life In Exclusive Clip From Tribeca Film, 'Five Star'