Vanity Fair cancels party
EmptyThe A-listers might hang around a little longer than usual at the Academy's Governors Ball this year: Vanity Fair has canceled its annual Oscar night party.
The magazine, which has traditionally drawn the largest concentration of bold-faced names on Oscar night at its celebrity-studded viewing party and postshow bash hosted by editor Graydon Carter, said Tuesday that it has decided to forgo festivities this year.
"After much consideration, and in support of the writers and everyone else affected by this strike, we have decided that this is not the appropriate year to hold our annual Oscar party," the magazine said on its Web site. "We want to congratulate all of this year's nominees and we look forward to hosting our 15th Oscar party next year."
The Vanity Fair spread had long been a fixture at Morton's in West Hollywood. But Morton's closed late last year, and Vanity Fair this year planned to move to Tom Colicchio's new restaurant Craft in Century City before deciding to pull the plug.
Even if the strike is resolved by Oscar time, this year's surrounding Oscar partying is going to be dialed back from that of past years.
Agent Ed Limato, who has traditionally held a pre-Oscar party at his home on the Friday night before the ceremony, has also canceled his event.
Other bashes are scheduled to go on as planned, though.
The Academy is going all out for its 80th birthday party at the Governors Ball, to be held in the Grand Ballroom of Hollywood & Highland. Wolfgang Puck will again dish up the menu, while Pink Martini and Jason Bentley will provide the music.
The Elton John AIDS Foundation will hold its 16th annual Academy Awards viewing party.
AIDS Project L.A. also has scheduled its annual Oscar-viewing party at the Abbey in West Hollywood. APLA warned ticketbuyers that in the event the show is not broadcast, it will refund tickets. But in light of the Academy's determination to move forward with its Feb. 24 broadcast, that seems unlikely.