Venice Film Fest Announces 2014 Dates
The 71st edition of the historic event will take place Aug. 27-Sept. 6, 2014.
ROME – The 71st edition of the Venice Film Festival will take place August 27-Sept. 6, 2014, festival officials said Tuesday, while revealing that this year’s edition of the world’s oldest film festival saw a 20 percent increase in attendance compared to the previous year.
Officials also said that the Darsena, one the Venice’s principal venues, will see an increase in seating next year, with 110 new seats added to bring the total number of seats in the facility to 1,409.
Though the Toronto Film Festival has not yet announced the dates for its next edition, Venice’s dates mean the two iconic events are likely to overlap again in 2014. Traditionally, Toronto gets underway midway through the second week of the festival in Venice.Next year’s event will be the third under the artistic direction of Alberto Barbera. Paolo Baratta will be back as president of the Venice Biennale for the seventh consecutive year. The 70th edition of the Venice Festival concluded Sept. 7, with the top prize going to Gianfranco Rosi’s Sacro GRA, the first time a documentary ever won the festival’s top prize.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Four Scandal Actors Pick Their Characters’ Favorite Monologues
- James Franco Calls Times Theater Critic a ‘Little Bitch’ and Suggests He Work for Gawker
- See New Photos of Hannah and Adam Together on the Next Season of Girls
- Under the Skin, Only Lovers Left Alive, and a Brief History of the Art-Horror Film