Venice Film Fest Sidebar to Offer New Cash Prize
Venice Days, an autonomous section launched 11 years ago, will award over $25,000 to its winning film.
ROME – Venice Days, the 11-year-old autonomous sidebar from the Venice Film Festival, will offer a cash award to its winning film starting with this year’s edition, organizers said Tuesday.
The event, which focuses on international independent films, will offer the winning film in the section a cash award of €20,000 ($28,000), split evenly between the producer and the director. It is the first time the section has offered a cash award.
Organizers said the award was created to help support the production of independent cinema in times of economic crisis.
Venice Days runs concurrent with the 71-year-old Venice Film Festival, from a separate location on the Venice Lido. This year, both events run August 27-Sept. 6.
Venice Days opened its call for new entries Feb. 5. The selection period will conclude June 27.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR