Venice Film Fest Titles to Screen at New Cinema Event in Beirut
Four key Italian titles from last year's fest, including Golden Lion winner "Sacro GRA," will screen starting Thursday.
ROME -- Four high-profile Italian titles from last year's Venice Film Festival -- including Golden Lion-winning documentary Sacro GRA -- will screen at a special film series in Lebanon, Venice officials said Wednesday.
It is the first time the 71-year-old Venice festival will present part of its lineup in Lebanon. The event, which has been tabbed "Venezia Cinema a Beirut," is co-sponsored by the Lebanon offices of the Italian Institute of Culture. It will run from Thursday until next Tuesday, Feb. 25.
In addition to Gianfranco Rosi's Sacro GRA -- the first documentary to win Venice's top prize and the first Italian film to win the honor in 15 years -- the Beirut event will also feature Gianni Amelio's working-class comedy L'intrepido (The Intrepid) on Thursday, Emma Dante's drama about a modern-day Sicilian standoff Via Castellana Bandiera on Friday, and La prime neve from Andrea Segre on Monday, Feb. 24. Sacro GRA will close the event the following day.
Venice has hosted similar events in other countries in the past, including in South Korea starting two years ago, in China since 2009, and in Russia and Brazil since 2006 and 2005, respectively.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting