Venice 2012: Italy's Gabriele Muccino Eyeing Science Fiction for Next Project
The "Pursuit of Happyness" director is eyeing a new genre and looking to cast Keanu Reeves as the lead.
VENICE -- Italian director Gabriele Muccino said Sunday that his next film would likely be a thriller or science fiction project.
Muccino -- best known for L’Ultimo Bacio (The Last Kiss) from 2001 and a pair of Will Smith films, The Pursuit of Happyness from 2006 and Seven Pounds from 2008 -- spoke on the sidelines of the Venice Film Festival.
Muccino’s just-completed project, a sports drama starring Gerard Butler, Jessica Biel, Dennis Quaid, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Uma Thurman called Playing for Keeps, will open in the U.S. on Dec. 7.
Muccino only discussed the thriller or science-fiction project in broad terms but did say that it could cast Keanu Reeves in a starring role.
Muccino also said that he is curious about new online distribution models for films, and he predicted they would become more widespread. He also noted that a “huge” part of the advertising budget for Playing for Keeps would be online, a change compared to previous films he directed.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR