Ventana Sur Film Market Begins Dec. 3 in Buenos Aires
Sponsored by Cannes' Marche du Film, the biggest LatAm film market's fifth edition features a new genre film sidebar, the European Film Week, and a Primer Corte competition for unfinished LatAm pics.
BUENOS AIRES – The fifth edition of the Ventana Sur, the biggest LatAm film market in the world co-created by Cannes’ Marche du Film and the Argentine Film Institute (INCAA), kicks off Dec. 3 in Buenos Aires and runs until Dec. 6.
A dynamic expression of the expanding and diverse LatAm film production, Ventana Sur grows in numbers, with a five percent increase in accreditations and more than 450 international participants flying to the Argentine capital city from all over the world. More than 100 films will be screened at the nearby Cinemark theaters, and 419 others will be available at screening rooms for international buyers.
"LatAm films that travel to festivals and compete are well known, but people aren’t aware that there’s also a vast production that doesn’t circulate through festivals, but do have quality and audience appeal," said Ventana Sur’s Bernardo Bergeret to Pagina 12 newspaper. "Lots of them aren’t festival films, but they do belong in the theaters."
Together with panels, screening rooms and pitching rounds, Ventana’s highlight sections include the European Film Week hosted by Cannes-head Thierry Frémaux, INCAA’s Primer Corte competition for LatAm films in production, and the genre-focused program Blood Window, created as a way to channel the expanding production of horror, gore and sci-fi films in the region.
The European Film Week will bring Frémaux to Buenos Aires to present a program of five films, headed by this year’s Palm d’Or winner Adele: Chapters 1 & 2. The pic’s helmer Abdellatif Kechiche will present the film tomorrow at the INCAA-run Gaumont theater, alongside co-stars Adele Exarchopoulos, Jeremie Laheurte and Mona Walravens.
Blood Window is Latin America’s first-ever genre film market, aimed to promote LatAm horror, sci-fi, and gore films. Ventana Sur’s sidebar market has a catalog of 60 titles and is structured in a series of pitching and co-production encounters (Beyond the Window), a Work in Progress program curated by San Sebastian Fest director Jose Luis Rebordinos (BWIP), and seminars and panels focused on distribution and production of genre films in the region.
This year’s selection for Ventana Sur’s film project competition Primer Corte was handpicked by Cannes’ Cinefondation head Georges Goldenstern, and will feature six LatAm projects bidding for post-production awards:
- Blue Lips (Daniela de Carlo, Julieta Lima, Gustavo Lipsztein, Antonello Novellino, Nacho Ruiperez, Nobuo Shima); Argentina/ Spain.
- Holiday (Diego Araujo); Ecuador/Argentina.
- Natural Sciences (Matias Luchessi); Argentina.
- It’s No Vigil (Hermes Paralluelo); Colombia.
- Open Cage (Max Zunino); Mexico.
- Portrait of an Animal Behavior (Gonzalo Lugo, Florencia Colucci); Uruguay.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ultimate Warrior Autopsy Finds Wrestler Died Of Cardiovascular Disease
- The Final Trailer For 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past Is A Traveler Of Both Time & Space
- A Conversation with The Both's Aimee Mann & Ted Leo, Plus A Quick Chat with Dolly Parton
- 'True Detective' Meets 'The Family Circus' Is Pure Evil Genius
- Brant Daugherty & Ian Harding Support a Good Cause at the Road To Hope Charity Benefit!
- Leonardo DiCaprio Wrestles a Friend at Coachella & Loses Badly (Video)
- Lily Aldridge's Toned Tummy is Why You Should Hit the Gym Now!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Change Outfits for Australia Arrival with Prince George!