Verizon Pay TV Sub Growth Accelerates in Third Quarter
The telecom giant signed up 135,000 FiOS pay TV customers, more than in the year-ago period.
Telecom giant Verizon Communications said Thursday that its FiOS TV service signed up 135,000 net new pay TV subscribers during the third quarter.
That compared with the 119,000 costumers that the company had added in the year-ago period and the 131,000 in the comparable quarter of 2011.
As of the end of September, FiOS TV had 5.2 million total subscribers, up from 5 million at of the end of June. The service competes with cable and satellite TV operators.
Verizon's results report on Thursday kicked off the third-quarter earnings season for pay TV companies.
Verizon also added 173,000 net new FiOS broadband subscribers in the latest period quarter. That brought its total to 5.9 million.
Verizon on Thursday also posted adjusted quarterly earnings of 77 cents per share. That was up from the 64 cents in the year-ago period. Revenue rose 4.4 percent to $30.3 billion.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead