Verizon's FiOS Pay TV Subscriber Count Crosses 5 Million Mark
The telecom giant signed up more pay TV customers than in the year-ago period.
Telecom giant Verizon Communications said Thursday that its FiOS TV service signed up 140,000 new pay TV subscribers during the second quarter.
That was down from the 169,000 user additions in the first quarter, but up from the 120,000 that Verizon had signed up in the year-ago period. The second quarter tends to be the seasonally weakest for pay TV companies.
As of the end of June, FiOS TV had 5 million total subscribers. The service competes with cable and satellite TV operators.
Verizon's results Thursday once again kicked off the latest quarterly earnings season for pay TV companies.
Verizon also added 161,000 new FiOS broadband subscribers in the first quarter, bringing its total to 5.8 million.
Verizon's quarterly earnings of 78 cents per share were up from 64 cents in the year-ago period. Second-quarter revenue rose 4.3 percent to $29.8 billion.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ultimate Warrior Autopsy Finds Wrestler Died Of Cardiovascular Disease
- The Final Trailer For 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past Is A Traveler Of Both Time & Space
- A Conversation with The Both's Aimee Mann & Ted Leo, Plus A Quick Chat with Dolly Parton
- 'True Detective' Meets 'The Family Circus' Is Pure Evil Genius
- Brant Daugherty & Ian Harding Support a Good Cause at the Road To Hope Charity Benefit!
- Leonardo DiCaprio Wrestles a Friend at Coachella & Loses Badly (Video)
- Lily Aldridge's Toned Tummy is Why You Should Hit the Gym Now!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Change Outfits for Australia Arrival with Prince George!