'VH-1 Rock Docs' clocks Love, Chong
VH1 said Wednesday that Courtney Love and Tommy Chong are among the subjects of five feature-length documentaries set to air as part of its "VH1 Rock Docs" series.
The network said that each of the documentaries will reveal an "untold story in the history of rock and hip-hop music," combining never-before-seen footage with a "unique and unconventional narrative approach."
"The 'Rock Docs' franchise continues to grow, and as long as there remain stories out there to tell, we will find a way to bring that story to life on-air and into the homes of our viewers," said Michael Hirschorn, executive vp original programming and production at VH1.
The docus are:
* "The Return of Courtney Love," an acquisition from the U.K., follows the singer as she works to get her life back on track after drug addiction and rehab and writes and records a new album. It also will feature unseen home movie footage of her late husband, Kurt Cobain.
* "A.K.A. Tommy Chong" centers on the comedian before and during his incarceration after having been charged with selling bongs over the Internet and later turning his arrest into stand-up material. From filmmaker Josh Gilbert, the docu was an official selection at the 2005 Toronto Film Festival and winner of best documentary at the 2006 U.S. Comedy Arts Festival.
* "1977" (tentative title), executive produced by Nanette Burstein ("The Kid Stays in the Picture"), is a two-part, two-hour documentary that tells the story of a year in New York when the city had "fallen into decay" but became "one of the most creative times any city has ever encountered." The docu features interviews with major figures from the era and tells of the emergence of hip-hop, punk and disco, graffiti art and sexual liberation. "1977" is an original production of VH1.
* "Air Guitar Nation," another acquisition, centers on the first official U.S. Air Guitar Championships and follows one person's journey to become a world champion.
* "Sex: The Revolution!" (tentative title), a four-part, four-hour series produced by Perry Films (VH1's "And You Don't Stop") in association with VH1, will take viewers through key moments in America's sexual history.
"Courtney Love" is set to make its U.S. debut at 9 p.m. Dec. 16. The other titles will roll out starting early next year.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR