Viacom Moves MTV Brazil to Pay TV
The channel will debut in October with more than 350 hours of local programming and global content.
BUENOS AIRES – Viacom International Media Networks on Monday announced the launch of its brand MTV on Brazilian pay TV, a booming market that tripled its growth in the last five years. MTV Brazil was one of the four versions of MTV available in free-to-air terrestrial TV, together with MTV Italy, MTV Greece and MTV Spain.
The new MTV channel will debut in October across main cable operators and feature more than 350 hours of local productions as well as Portuguese-dubbed versions of Snooki & Jwoww, Ridiculousness and Awkward.
Other new features include local versions of MTV global formats World Stage, Guy Code and Pranked.
As a result of the upcoming launch of MTV on Pay TV, VIMN and Abril Group have dissolved their licensing agreement in Brazil. The local Abril Group had been managing the channel since 1990.
"By moving MTV to pay TV, we’re creating a terrific opportunity to leverage our audience expertise, market penetration, local relationships and relevance to present an entertaining and exciting channel for our audience and partners alike," said Sofia Ioannou, managing director of VIMN – The Americas. "Given the triple-digit growth of pay TV in Brazil in the last five years, and the success of our sister networks on this platform, the time is right for us to take full control of MTV in the market and move it to pay TV."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting