EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Helen Mirren Knocks Hollywood for Worshipping Young Men
The actress notes in her speech from The Hollywood Reporter's Women in Entertainment breakfast that filmmakers continue "to worship at the altar of the 18 to 25-year-old male and his penis."
Helen Mirren took Hollywood to task Tuesday over the entertainment community's obsession with youth and young men, in particular.
During her speech given at The Hollywood Reporter's annual Women in Entertainment breakfast, the Sherry Lansing Leadership Award recipient noted that "journalists are always asking her to complain about the lack of opportunities for older women on screen."
"I resent in my life the survival of some very mediocre male actors and the professional demise of some very brilliant female ones," Mirren said. "However, with all due respect to you many brilliant and successful women in this room...really not too much has changed in the canon of Hollywood filmmaking that continues to worship at the altar of the 18 to 25-year-old male and his penis."
"Quite small, I always think."
Check out Mirren's speech in its entirety in our exclusive video.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR