VIDEO: Small Plane Crash Near Fox Lot Kills One
The plane landed in a residential area, but only the pilot was killed.
One person is dead after a small plane crashed into a residential area in West Lost Angeles, NBC Los Angeles reports. The plane crashed on Friday evening at 6:14 p.m. near the intersection of Olympic Blvd. and Overland Ave., just blocks from the 20th Century Fox lot.
A news alert from the Los Angeles Fire Department said that one person had died, but would not reveal name, age or gender information.
The victim is believed to be the pilot of the single-engine Cessna 210, who declared an emergency at 6:10 p.m. after taking off from the Santa Monica airport, three miles southwest of the crash site.
NBC quotes Federal Avian Administration spokesman Ian Gregor, who said the plane "flew around for an unknown period of time, and was coming back to land when the accident occurred."
Despite landing in a dense area, no buildings were damaged in the crash.
A wall surrounding a local home's yard was burned from the plane's flaming wreckage, whose smoke could be seen for miles.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game